- "4 per 1000 initiative", by Jean-François Soussana (INRA)
- "Continental scale modelling of carbon and nitrogen fluxes in agricultural soils" by Emanuele Lugato (JRC)
- "Functional land management and carbon sequestration - balancing the competition for land" by Rogier Shulte (Wageningen University)
- "Carbon sequestration: the micro perspective" by Prof. Ingrid Kögel-Knabner (Technical University Munich)
- "Research on agricultural soils in H2020" by Agnieszka Romanowicz (DG AGRI)
The afternoon session involved three breakout groups: one dedicated to looking at current programmes and funding systems in the countries as a means of completing the information that was obtained in a questionnaire; one looking at research gaps and a third, exploring how integration at the EU level might be implemented.
Several recurring themes included mapping of the current situation (including soil initiatives), data collection, harmonisation and storage, and creating an enabling environment for multidisciplinary research.
The meeting was closed by Maive Rute, JRC Deputy Director General.
A full report of the meeting is under preparation and will be distributed as soon as possible.