MEUSIS in Slovakia
The European Commission, Joint Research Centre has collaborated with the Soil Science and Conservation Research Institute (Slovakia) in order to test the MEUSIS principles in some Slovakian Regions. Because of their specificity in terms of soil geography and main threats to soils, the MEUSIS Pilot Areas in Slovakia has contributed in the analysis of the feasibility of such approaches.
In the pilot areas, which are already delineated, the data exchange format has been filled at 3 different levels of detail (10km x 10km, 5km x 5km and 1km x 1km).
As you may view in the image, Pilot areas within Slovakia are defined at three levels of detail:
- Level 1 (Blue colour Cells): the soil cover is described according to 10km x 10km pixels (regular cells to be interpreted as elementary mapping units with associated attributes); the pilot area is approximately 49,026 square km (The whole Slovakia surface). The resulting shape file GRID10km.shp (10km x 10km) contains 493 cells covering the all surface of Slovakia.
- Level 2 (Green colour Cells): the soil cover is described according to 5km x 5km pixels; the pilot area is approximately 10,489 square km (Districts of Trnava and Nitra) and is included in the Level 1 pilot area. The resulting shape file GRID5km.shp (5km x 5 km) contains 421 cells covering the whole surface of the districts of Trnava and Nitra.
- Level 3 (Red colour Cells): the soil cover is described according to 1km x 1km pixels; the pilot area is approximately 4,147 square km (District of Trnava). This pilot area is included in the Level 2 pilot area. The resulting shape file GRID1km.shp contains 4,148 cells covering the whole surface of the districts of Trnava.
The results of this MEUSIS Slovakia project are (Available for the European Commission Services):
- MEUSIS-SK: The MEUSIS Slovakia georeferenced Database (Access Format)
- Final Technical Report: Slovakia Soil Database Pilot Areas, How to flow local information into a harmonised Multiscale European Soil Information System
- Meta-Information: Metadata Database (Access Format)