The European Soil Data Centre (ESDAC) contains currently many soil data and information; most of the offered data are at European scale, while, when possible, links to national or global datasets are provided.
Datasets are organized in some broad categories.
- A first category contains the European Soil Database (ESDB), datasets that have been derived with the help of the ESDB and general European datasets that contain soil properties.
- A second category offers data that are related to soil threats (erosion, soil organic carbon, landslides, compaction, salinization, soil biodiversity, contaminated sites, soil sealing, etc.)
- A third category offers soil point data (LUCAS, SPADE, etc)
- A fourth category contains data that stem from projects.
Some datasets can be freely downloaded; others will be made accessible after prior registration, through a fill-in form, indicated by the button.
On top of the list below, there is also a handy one-page overview of all datasaets publicly available in ESDAC: the name (and link) for the dataset and a short abstract.
More information about some of the datasets in the European Soil Data Centre can be found in the following publications:
- Panagos P., Van Liedekerke M., Jones A., Montanarella L. European Soil Data Centre: Response to European policy support and public data requirements. (2012) Land Use Policy, 29 (2), pp. 329-338, doi:10.1016/j.landusepol.2011.07.003
- The European Soil Data Centre: a one-stop-shop for soil science "Science for Environment Policy": European Commission DG Environment News Alert Service (9 February 2012)