Emanuele Lugato graduated in Agricultural Science at the University of Padova in 1999. He received his PhD at the Department of Environmental Agronomy in 2005, after having completed an exchange period at the Natural Resource Ecology Laboratory (Colorado State University). He worked as post-doc at the Department of Environmental Agronomy at the University of Padova, also collaborating with the University of Udine and the Enrico Mattei Fundation. From 2010 to 2012, he has worked at the Institute of Biometeorology (CNR) as researcher.
His main fields of interest include soil organic carbon dynamics and accounting, agro-ecosystem modelling, GHG assessment and biogeochemical cycles.
In 2012, he joined the European Commission Joint Research Center (IES - Soil action) to develop modeling tools predicting quantitative effect of different mitigation measurements on soil organic carbon in agricultural soils (CAPRESE project).
Publications in Peer-reviewed scientific journals
- Panagos, P., Borrelli, P., Meusburger, C., Alewell, C., Lugato, E., Montanarella, L., 2015. Estimating the soil erosion cover-management factor at European scale. Land Use policy 48C: 38-50. , doi:10.1016/j.landusepol.2015.05.021
- Lugato E., Bampa, F., Panagos P., Montanarella L. , Jones A.(2014). Potential carbon sequestration of European arable soils estimated by modelling a comprehensive set of management practices. Global change biology , (2014), 20 (11), 3557–3567.
- Söderström B., Hedlund K., Jackson L., Kätterer T., Lugato E., Thomsen I., Jørgensen H. (2014). What are the effects of agricultural management on soil organic carbon (SOC) stocks? . Environmental Evidence , 3:2.
- Baronti S., Vaccari F.P., Miglietta F., Calzolari C., Lugato E., Orlandini S., Pini R., Zulian C., Genesio L. (2014). Impact of biochar application on plant water relations in Vitis vinifera (L.). European Journal of Agronomy ,53, 38-44.
- Lugato E., Alberti G., Gioli B., Kaplan J.O., Peressotti A., Miglietta F. (2013). Long-term pan evaporation observations as a resource to understand the water cycle trend: case studies from Australia . Hydrological Sciences Journal , 58 (6), 1–10.
- Lugato E., Panagos P., Bampa, F., Jones A., Montanarella L. (2014). A new baseline of organic carbon stock in European agricultural soils using a modelling approach. Global change biology 20 (1), pp. 313-326
- Montanarella, L.,Lugato, E. (2013): The Application of Biochar in the EU: Challenges and Opportunities Agronomy 2013, 3(2) , 462-473; doi:10.3390/agronomy3020462
- Lugato, E., Vaccari, F.P., Genesio, L., Baronti, S., Pozzi, A., Rack, M., Woods, J., Simonetti, G., Montanarella, L., Miglietta, F. (2013): An energy-biochar chain involving biomass gasification and rice cultivation in Northern Italy. Global Change Bioenergy,
- Simonetti, G., Francioso, O., Nardi, S., Berti, A., Brugnoli, E., Lugato, E., Morari, F. (2012): Characterization of humic carbon in soil aggregates in a long-Term experiment with manure and mineral fertilization Soil Science Society of America Journal , 76 (3), pp. 880-890.
- Gioli, B., Toscano, P., Lugato, E., Matese, A., Miglietta, F., Zaldei, A., Vaccari, F.P. (2012): Methane and carbon dioxide fluxes and source partitioning in urban areas: The case study of Florence, Italy Environmental Pollution , 164, pp. 125-131.
- Vaccari, F.P., Lugato, E., Gioli, B., D'Acqui, L., Genesio, L., Toscano, P., Matese, A., Miglietta, F. (2012): Land use change and soil organic carbon dynamics in Mediterranean agro-ecosystems: The case study of Pianosa Island Geoderma , 175-176, pp. 29-36.
- Genesio, L., Miglietta, F., Lugato, E., Baronti, S., Pieri, M., Vaccari, F.P. (2012): Surface albedo following biochar application in durum wheat Environmental Research Letters , 7 (1), art. no. 014025.
- Primicerio, J., Di Gennaro, S.F., Fiorillo, E., Genesio, L., Lugato, E., Matese, A., Vaccari, F.P (2012): A flexible unmanned aerial vehicle for precision agriculture Precision Agriculture , pp. 1-7. Article in Press.
- Morari, F., Lugato, E., Polese, R., Berti, A., Giardini, L. (2012): Nitrate concentrations in groundwater under contrasting agricultural management practices in the low plains of Italy Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment , 147 (1), pp. 47-56.
- Vaccari, F.P., Baronti, S., Lugato, E., Genesio, L., Castaldi, S., Fornasier, F., Miglietta, F. (2011): Biochar as a strategy to sequester carbon and increase yield in durum wheat European Journal of Agronomy , 34 (4), pp. 231-238.
- Lugato, E., Zuliani, M., Alberti, G., Vedove, G.D., Gioli, B., Miglietta, F., Peressotti, A. (2010): Application of DNDC biogeochemistry model to estimate greenhouse gas emissions from Italian agricultural areas at high spatial resolution Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment , 139 (4), pp. 546-556.
- Lugato, E., Simonetti, G., Morari, F., Nardi, S., Berti, A., Giardini, L. (2010): Distribution of organic and humic carbon in wet-sieved aggregates of different soils under long-term fertilization experiment Geoderma , 157 (3-4), pp. 80-85.
- Lugato, E., Morari, F., Nardi, S., Berti, A., Giardini, L. (2009): Relationship between aggregate pore size distribution and organic-humic carbon in contrasting soils Soil and Tillage Research , 103 (1), pp. 153-157.
- Lugato, E., Berti, A (2008): Potential carbon sequestration in a cultivated soil under different climate change scenarios: A modelling approach for evaluating promising management practices in north-east Italy Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment , 128 (1-2), pp. 97-103.
- Morari, F., Lugato, E., Giardini, L.. (2008): Olsen phosphorus, exchangeable cations and salinity in two long-term experiments of north-eastern Italy and assessment of soil quality evolution Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment , 124 (1-2), pp. 85-96.
- Lugato, E., Paustian, K., Giardini, L. (2007): Modelling soil organic carbon dynamics in two long-term experiments of north-eastern Italy Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment , 120 (2-4), pp. 423-432.
- Lugato, E., Berti, A., Giardini, L. (2006): Soil organic carbon (SOC) dynamics with and without residue incorporation in relation to different nitrogen fertilisation rates Geoderma , 135, pp. 315-321.
- Morari, F., Lugato, E., Berti, A., Giardini, L. (2006): Long-term effects of recommended management practices on soil carbon changes and sequestration in north-eastern Italy Soil Use and Management , 22 (1), pp. 71-81.
- Morari, F., Lugato, E., Borin, M. (2004): An integrated non-point source model-GIS system for selecting criteria of best management practices in the Po Valley, North Italy Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment , 102 (3), pp. 247-262.
- Morari, F., Lugato, E., Borin, M. (2003): Agricultural land use and N losses to water: The case study of a fluvial park in Northern Italy Water Science and Technology , 47 (7-8), pp. 275-282.