MEUSIS in Italy (SIAS Project)
Description of the SIAS (Sviluppo di Indicatori Ambientali sul Suolo in Italia - Development of Soil Indicators in Italy) Project
The European Commission, Joint Research Centre has initiated a close collaboration with APAT (L'Agenzia per la protezione dell'ambiente e per i servizi tecnici) in ITALY in order to develop the Italian Soil Database according to INSPIRE principles following the Pixel methodology and using the data from the italian Regions.
Information and more details about the project may be found in the presentation: Il progetto SIAS: Sviluppo di indicatori Ambientali sul suolo in Italia: (APAT). During the meeting which organised in Ispra (21-23 November) a series of presentations have taken place regarding the APAT project
Data: Reference Grids
1km x 1km Italian Regional Reference Grids: The idea of using grids as a tool for the exchange of soil data and for the creation of a large map out of many small ones is also applied in the SIAS (Sviluppo di Indicatori Ambientali sul Suolo in Italia - Development of Soil Indicators in Italy) project. This project aims at collecting soil data from soil data providers at regional level in Italy in order to assemble Italian maps. Therefore, for each Italian region a 1km x 1km grid has been prepared. The cells in a grid are allocated to the region. Each region should provide only data for its cells.
|1KM X 1KM REFERENCE GRID OF REGION||AREA (KM2)||BORDERS OF REGION|
- APAT: The Project coordinator and financing body. It is the main partner who defines the methodologies. Responsible to make available expert staff for the implementation of the Plan.
- ARPAV: Responsible of the technical coordination of the activities, definition of the methodology and develoment of the network between the regions participants.
- JRC, Land Management and Natural Hazards Unit : Technical support and implementation of the methodology to upscale the data in European level
- Italian Regions: Contribute to the definition of the methodology and the elaboration of the data. Find below the list of Contributing Authorities:
|Region (English)||Responsible Organisation|
|Friuli-Venezia Giulia||X (no contribution)|
|Lazio||X (no contribution)|
|Liguria||X (no contribution)|
|Valle d'Aosta||X (no contribution)|
|Other Paricipants||Organisation Body|
|CRA - Agricultural Research Council - Italy||Experimental Institute for soil study and conservation –Florence|
- 1. Methodological proposal, elaborated from ARPAV, in collaboration with the other regions participants, APAT and JRC;
- 2. Application experiences them in some areas of the regions participants and first adaptation of the methodology
- 3. Final adaptation of the methodology, on the base of the observations and the contributions reached from the regional experts.
- 4. Regional elaborations with the support of the coordination;
- 5. Assemblage and completion edited by ARPAV and APAT;
- 6. Delivery.
- January 2008: Project Partners test the Exchange Format, Deadline for comments is 31/1/2008.
- December 2007: APAT has sent to all Project Partners the "Exchange Format" version 8.0 (Definitive one) and the Database Schema (Access Format)
- December 2007: APAT, ARPAV, PER have distributed to the Project Partners the Document "Methods for the Estimation of Soil Erosion"