Over the next two years, the EU Soil Observatory (EUSO) will become a dynamic and inclusive platform that aims to support policymaking by:
Providing the Commission Services and the broader soil user community with the soil knowledge and data flows needed to safeguard soils
Supporting EU Research & Innovation on soils
Raising societal awareness of the value of soils
The organization and operation of EUSO is described in the EUSO Concept Note, from which is the following is extracted:
The EU Soil Observatory (EUSO) should become the principal provider of reference data and knowledge at EU-level for all matters relating to soil.
The EUSO aims to be a dynamic and inclusive platform that supports EU soil-related policymaking. EUSO will provide the relevant Commission Services, together with the broader soil user community, with the knowledge and data flows needed to safeguard and restore soils.
The EUSO will both support, and benefit from, EU Research & Innovation on soils while raising societal awareness of the value and importance of soils to the lives of citizens.
The EUSO will closely collaborate with relevant EU Agencies (e.g. EEA, EFSA, ECA) and Horizon Europe’s Soil Mission.
Ultimately, the EUSO will support EU policies by ensuring that the Commission is able to fully capitalise on the information made available through integrated data flows by transitioning from simply monitoring to understanding. In this manner, the EUSO will support the implementation of all soil related objectives of the European Green Deal.
To realize this vision and mission, five main functions are proposed:
- Support the development of an operational EU-Wide Soil Monitoring System.
- Establish an EUSO Dashboard that reflects the state of soil health and trends in pressures affecting soil health.
- Further consolidate and enhance the capacity and functionality of the European Soil Data Centre (ESDAC) to support evolving knowledge needs and innovative data flows.
- Support research and innovation through the implementation of Horizon Europe’sMission on Soil Health and Food.
- Provide an open and inclusive forum that supports the drive towards a societal change in the perception of soil.